Sunday, December 5, 2010

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

     I was so happy to get my hands on another book by this wonderful author. It felt wonderful to slip back into the world of the Shadowhunters!

     When Tessa's Aunt Harriet dies, Tessa sails to London to live with her brother, Nate. When she arrives at the port, Nate is nowhere to be seen. Tessa is kidnapped by the Dark Sisters who insist that she has some magical ability. They torture her and force her to use this ability, one that she has just realized she possesses, to their own benefit.
     After she escapes from the Dark Sisters, Tessa takes refuge at the Institute. There she meets Shadowhunters and begins unraveling mysteries about herself, her family, and the new world she has just discovered.

     Over all, I really enjoyed Clockwork Angel. It was amazing, as all of Clare's work is. The characters have depth and the plot is truly enthralling. I like the time period that it is set in. It adds to the feel of the book greatly.
     The beginning of this novel really freaked me out. It was actually scary. Of course, this could have been added to by the fact that I started it at night... Either way, Cassandra Clare began the book in a very unique way. It gave you a look at Tessa's normal life, before it was snatched away. She is just standing on the dock, wondering where her brother could be. If that isn't the picture of normalcy, I'm not sure what is. Within the next several pages, Tessa has been introduced to a new world though.
     I really find it amazing that Tessa can even hold herself together through all of the things she is put through. She is a very vivid and strong character. Sometimes, she gets a little sassy which is hilarious. Most of the time though, she is perfectly civil. With everyone except Will, that is. 
     Will is annoying. I can't decide exactly what I think of him because every time I think he is going to do the right thing, he goes and messes it up! No wonder Tessa gets so frustrated with him. He can be so nice and so sweet. Then he turns around and tries to be all macho, as if nothing can hurt him. His only weakness seems to be Jem.
     Jem is the nicest guy I have ever met (so what if I feel like he is real?). He is unassuming and just goes with the flow. Despite his illness, he does his best in the Shadowhunting world which simply isn't very well-suited for him anymore. I feel so bad for him. If only he were real, I would give him a hug!
     I can't say enough to express my love of this book. I wasn't sure what to expect from a spin-off of the Mortal Instruments series, but I was definitely pleased. It just feels so good reading about them. It is like wearing your favorite, most comfortable pajamas. I can't explain it any better than that. It's fantastic. If you haven't given this book a chance yet, you are missing out big time!
     Rating: 10
Favorite quote:
     "Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?"
     "They ate it too, " Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck."

No comments: