Friday, March 29, 2013

The Loved and the Lost by Lory Kaufman

     In this final book of The Verona Trilogy, Hansum, Shamira and Lincoln go on the boldest adventure of their lives. They will face hardship, tragedy, and threats from sources they couldn't have imagined - all in an effort to wrestle a future from the steely grip of an unforgiving past.
--Taken from the back cover

The Loved and the Lost is a perfect end to an achingly beautiful story. Kaufman's writing is stellar, as is his imagination. He brings readers into his story with such ease and makes reading a gratifying experience. Readers cannot help but laugh and cry along with Hansum, Lincoln, and Shamira as their journey comes to a close.
     I had been waiting for this last installment in the series for some time and was excited at the prospect of finally reading it. Kaufman certainly did not disappoint. His characters are even more well-developed than they were in the first two novels. The plot too is interesting and engaging as readers wonder what will happen next.
     Though I still love Shamira dearly, I found a new respect for Hansum in this novel. All of the teens have grown up, but Hansum's losses seem to have really changed him, and understandably so. I cannot help but feel his pain and desperation throughout the novel. He is so close to getting what he has wanted for so long, but life always seems to rip it away at the last moment. I admire his strength and perseverance; he somehow manages to carry on. He puts on a brave face for Shamira and Lincoln that makes him all the more endearing.
    Lincoln too has grown up into a man. He is certainly still a joker, as in the past, but he has so much more depth in The Loved and the Lost. He knows what to say at just the right times to keep both Shamira's and Hansum's spirits up and never loses sight of what is important. I love how Kaufman molded him into this wonderful, charismatic person.
     Shamira, just as lovely and astounding as ever, is still my favorite character. Her strength rarely fails her, even through all of the pain she is put through. She is an
amazing, exuberant character. One who supports her friends and always finds her way.
     I cannot express enough my love for this book and the characters within it. Lory Kaufman has outdone himself and left us content as readers. As much as I wish there were more of Shamira's, Lincoln's, and Hansum's stories, I also think Kaufman ended it perfectly. The Loved and the Lost is worth reading a thousand times over, had I the time.

Rating: 10


See my posts for the other two novels: The Lens and the Looker and The Bronze and the Brimstone.

*The fact that I received this book from the author did not influence my opinion of it in any way. This was my honest review.

No comments: