Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

     When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead… Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life.
--Taken from Jessica Verday's website

     Jessica Verday did a great job with this novel. It was written so well! I love the style she used because it was down to earth and just pleasant. I found myself very eager to continue.
     The start of The Hollow was much darker than I expected. It was difficult to connect with Abbey because I wasn't entirely sure what was happening just yet. I was just drowning in her sorrow over Kristen's death, but I didn't know enough about Kristen or Abbey's relationship with her to care. So, I plodded along hoping that I would soon find out what was going on and I'm glad that I did. One of my favorite parts about The Hollow, besides just about everything, were the flashbacks Abbey had. The little moments she had with Kristen that made me remember my own adventures with friends were great: the hair incident was funny and showed how close the two friends were.
     As a character, Abbey is probably one of the most well-rounded heroins I've read about in a while. She isn't really sure what she wants out of life and that makes her more real to me. She has beautiful dreams for her future though, and I love seeing her work towards it. She is caring, but doesn't worry what people think and doesn't bother trying to placate those that will never understand. I love that Abbey makes perfumes! I think that is so neat. I really wish I were talented enough to try something like that, but I think I'll stick to reading about her making them instead. :)
     Honestly, I couldn't really see what Abbey saw in Caspian. I mean, sure, he's cute, but what else does she know about him? Not much. I could probably list the things she knows about him on one hand. All Caspian really has going for him is that mysterious charm (which if I'm being completely truthful is quite appealing...) and a kind demeanor, but other than that he is just a random guy who shows up at the most random time in her life.
     Ben, on the other hand, is a really nice guy. I can tell he cares about Abbey and I kind of wish she would just give him a chance. He's hilarious, after all! "Every time my five-year-old sister turns on the waterworks, I end up buying her a Barbie. You don't need a new Barbie, do you?" How can you not fall for that one? If that isn't enough, Ben is always there for Abbey. He's a great science partner and he is there when she needs him.
     The story behind this book is based off of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow which makes for a very interesting plot. It is set in the town of Sleepy Hollow, this beautiful town steeped in history. That history has a lot to do with who Abbey is as a person.
     I loved this book! I can't believe it's taken me so long to get around to reading it either. The writing and the characters are fabulous. Verday has certainly outdone herself!
     Rating: 10

1 comment:

brandileigh2003 said...

I enjoyed this one too. Ben is a great character!
Thanks for review.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog