Saturday, January 8, 2011

Logic of Demons: The Quest for Nadine's Soul by H. A. Goodman

     What would you do if the love of your life was murdered by a deranged killer? Would you become a vigilante and seek retribution? And would this revenge affect those you care for in the afterlife? LOGIC OF DEMONS The Quest for Nadine's Soul takes you on a journey inside the psyches of men and women forced to deal with the spiritual consequences of their decisions. Through the lives of a demon, two Angels, and a mysterious teenage girl, a plethora of politically and socially relevant issues ranging from the roots of genocide and sex trafficking to child conscription and religious fundamentalism are addressed in this fantasy thriller. Life as well as the afterlife converge in this novel to explain certain peculiarities of the human condition. Whether you are God fearing individual or an atheist, LOGIC OF DEMONS The Quest for Nadine's Soul addresses moral and theological issues of interest for people of all backgrounds.
--Summary from back of book


     This book was simultaneously revolting and intriguing. I wanted to keep reading and yet I didn't. The characters were interesting enough, but the events that were taking place were horrendous (the scenes concerning genocide and such were just so sad).
     The biggest problem I had with Logic of Demons was that it was a bit hard to follow the action. Not to mention that it was slightly slow to really get going. The writing itself wasn't bad, though. It was compelling enough and was able to draw forth my emotions. For the most part the characters were believable as well.
     I'm not sure what to think of Devin. He was despicable and selfish at times, but it's hard to forget why he is that way. When you really get down to it though, he isn't such a bad person. He made a terrible mistake. Who hasn't? Granted, I've never done anything as drastic and horrid as Devin, but no one is perfect. I just wish that he wasn't quite so naive and gullible! I mean, I figured out who he was 'working' for far before Natalia told him.
     My favorite character was probably Natalia. She was a pretty neat Angel, I must say. The thing is, she didn't try to sugar-coat anything for Devin. She made him deal with his new reality and that helped him to grow as a person. Eventually, he came to realize that his actions were important even in the after-life. So, despite his hope of seeing Bridget again, he began taking things more seriously and tried to make better, more conscientious decisions.
     Nadine's portion of the story was most interesting to me. Her life was depressing, but she kept going. I admired her for that. It couldn't have been easy, given her uncle's incessant griping and such.
     As a whole, this book wasn't really my cup of tea. I didn't dislike it, per se, but it was not my favorite either. Goodman did do a wonderful job creating a unique storyline, one that had plenty of twists. He also created some interesting characters. None the less, I didn't care for it as much as I thought I might. I'm sure plenty of people would enjoy the book more than I did, and if it sounds interesting to you, I encourage you to read it!
     Rating: 5.6
*The fact that I received this book from the author did not influence my opinion of it in any way. This was my honest review.

No comments: