Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Named by Marianne Curley


     I absolutely adored this book! It was the perfect, riveting page-turner that I needed. I've read this book before, but I decided to borrow it from my friend again. If possible, I think I may have fallen even more in love with it.

     The Named are members of the Guard, an organization created to protect history. They are the lucky few for whom history truly comes alive. Ethan Roberts, now sixteen, has been part of the Guard since he was four. He loves his 'job' and is completely dedicated to it. When he gets his first Apprentice, he couldn't be more happy. Isabel Becket is fifteen and the perfect Apprentice (her tomboy-ish ways come through for her during her training). Arkarian, Ethan's trainer helps them, but thanks to the Order of Chaos, Ethan and Isabel are in for quite a bit of trouble.

     Marianne Curley created some fantastic characters! They are all just so real. In fact, they're so great, I'm not sure who is my favorite. Ethan had a bit of a troubled past and yet he functions just fine. He is funny and surprisingly deep and caring.His loyalty is beyond amazing. Isabel is a girl, but she has never let that stop her. She is strong and extremely intelligent. At times her curiosity gets the better of her, but this only makes her even more awesome. Then there is Arkarian. His blue hair and violet eyes make him an odd but amazing sight to see. He cares about everyone and does his best to help.
     The world Curley creates is astounding! I can see every detail in my mind's eye. The mountain that houses Arkarian's chamber, the forest where Ethan and Isabel train, and even the different places they visit all jump off the page into action. The way the book switches between the perspectives of both Ethan and Isabel adds to the story. It's great that I was able to get into both of their minds.
     I also liked the idea of protecting history. As Ethan says, "I guard time. More specifically, history. My job is to make sure it all happens the way it's supposed to, the way it already did." The whole concept would be a little mind-boggling, except that the book explains it so well.
     I highly recommend The Named! Like me, I doubt you will be able to put it down. So, you might not want to start it until your days off, so that you aren't pulling an all-nighter and then have to get up for work, or school like me.  ;)
     Rating: 10
     If you would like to find this amazing read, check Amazon or Books a Million.

No comments: